Saturday, July 9, 2011

We Miss Our Sweet Lincoln 3/26/11 - 7/2/11


I haven't even finished writing the birth story of my Twinkies and I already have a death story to be told:o( If I had only known Saturday at about 2:00 a.m. my little Lincoln would nurse for the last time or at 5:30 a.m. he would drink his last bottle... If I would have known that that last week in our hot, hot house would be his last and my cuddling days with him were numbered... If I would have known he was only going to be with us two more days and family photos would never be taken... If I would have known that my sick kids wouldn't get to love on him ever again...

I woke up from my last night of sleep as a complete family to a frantic Mother-in-law screaming and running out of our bedroom after checking on the boys. My husband and I jumped out of bed as I glanced at the clock wondering what the commotion was all about... 8:30 a.m. kind of early to be playing so loudly with the kids... wait playing??? We ran out to the kitchen confused and shocked to see a lifeless little body in my mother-in-laws arms. I ran over and picked him up and said, "Bring him back! Can you bring him back?" I blew in his mouth and handed him to my husband. He tried mouth to mouth and some chest compressions while he yelled, "OH MY SON, OH MY PRECIOUS SON!!!" I don't even remember what happened after that till suddenly our house was brimming full of men in uniforms. "This can't be happening" I'm thinking the whole time, "he just ate 3 hours ago and he was fine!" The paramedic took him from us and said he was still a little warm, instantly there was hope, but deep down inside we knew... A man with a camera took pictures of his bed and asked questions about where he was laying, how he was sleeping, was he sick? when did he last eat? how was his last feeding? was he fussy? and millions of other questions. Then we were directed to go to the helicopter pad behind Hy-Vee and the whole way I just held on to that little bit of hope that he's "a little bit warm." Still in shock as we drove... We arrived at Hy-Vee, where behind the closed doors of the ambulance they worked long and hard on our 3 month old baby. They told us to head to the hospital while they flew him in the helicopter. We got in the car and it hit me hard, he's gone, I know he's gone. I broke down and cried the entire trip, wondering why? what could we have done differently? what will they tell us when we arrive at the hospital? We walked down the same foreboding hallway we had walked down once before (different story, different day) and were ushered into a room where nurses surrounded his bed and chaos was happening everywhere. They told us they had given him lots of medicine and had been doing chest compressions and oxygen for the last 45 minutes and he wasn't responding. They said they wanted to keep trying till we got there and that they would try everything one last time and if he didn't respond they would have to "call it." We heard, "Switching compressions *commotion* 13 cc's *commotion" They did some compressions and the doctor said, "I'm sorry we have to call it. NINE THIRTY EIGHT" People filed out of the room while we held each other and cried. Sweet, sweet Lincoln's body laying still. I rubbed his hand and touched his face trying to take in every single detail of that body I loved so much. The medical examiner arrived and they sent us out of the room while they took pictures. They called us back in to spend some time with him, to hold him, and to say "goodbye".

Today Lincoln's grandpa's laid his casket in his grave. Today I watched while my husband and my dad filled his grave one shovel load at a time. Today was our final goodbye.


TOUCHING MEMORIES OF LINCOLN
We loved the way Lincoln would make eye-contact with us when he was crying and he would follow us through his tears.
We loved the way his face lit up when we talked to him and how his focus was SO on us.
He loved to be talked to.
We loved his bright, happy eyes and his perky eyebrows.
We loved his snuggles. He loved to be held close and tight.
We loved how he enjoyed being in the carry pouch just to be close to us.
We loved hearing him talk to us and watching his nostrils flare as he mustered up his adorable coos.
We loved his chubby cheeks and how our lips would sink right into them.
We loved his little baby rolls and the feel of hugging his round little body.
We loved cuddling and snuggling with him in bed or burping him on our tummies in the middle of the night.
We loved how he would get so ferocious when he was hungry.
We loved the way he buried his face in our chest or shoulders when he was squawking and squirming for food.
We loved how he liked to suck on our pinkies that almost always made him happy, even more than the pacie.
We loved the dimples on his cheeks when he smiled and the dimple under his eye when he cried.
We loved the feel of his soft downy hair on our cheeks.
We loved his gorgeous deep-blue eyes that seemed to speak a thousand words, mostly happy ones!
We loved how he was so easy-going and the happiest of all whenever he was being snuggled.
We loved his voice as he would cry or the outbursts that sounded like “baw” - extremely pathetic like a bleating lamb.
We loved listening and watching as our Twinkies cried together in unison; they were so funny!
We loved rubbing ours noses with his and giving him Eskimo kisses.
We loved giving him a bath and having him smell so yummy afterwards.
We loved the strawberry mark on his forehead.
We loved how big his eyes got when it was time to eat.
We loved the way he always gazed at Judah when they laid beside each other.
We loved how he became a fighter while making it through such a hard birth, then to battle RSV while coming out victorious!
We loved having twins and we loved how we found out that we were going to have twins.
We loved the contrast from when Lincoln was the squirmy, wiggly one in the womb, but he was so laid back after he was born.
We loved the little beads of sweat on his forehead from crying so hard when it was so hot in our unairconditioned house.
We love to look long at his pictures while seeing all of his expressions and smiles.
We love viewing the pictures of the boys, always together from the first time they FINALLY met till the last day they were together.
We love that we can still look at Judah and get some glimpses of Lincoln.
We love how he has his big brother, Brody, who at three months resembled him so much,
which gives us an idea how he might have looked in the future.
We love and have loved our many precious friends praying for our Twinkies and us.
We love that he was the little-big brother, though born last he was larger than Judah.
We love how our loving God gave us two babies so we can still have one to hold, to love on, and to raise for the Lord.
We love knowing that God is sovereign, too great and wonderful to make any mistakes!
We love the comfort from knowing Christ and understanding that our Savior loves Lincoln even more than us.
We love opening our van door and looking back to see four precious faces who we love so much!
We love how Lincoln was God’s gift and so precious to enjoy for those three months.
We love knowing that we will definitely get to be with our Lincoln again one day.
We love knowing that our little Lincoln is now with Jesus. “Thank you, Jesus, for giving him to us!”
WHEN MEMORIES HURT
We will miss the attention the twins got from strangers while out and about.
We will miss Lincoln and Judah smiling and cooing together.
It is hard to hear Judah's cry become even more pathetic than before (yes, it is possible).
It was hard seeing Judah abnormally agitated the day after losing his twin brother.
We will miss the Twinkies tearful duets.
It hurts to have an extra hand or extra space on our laps, that we always seemed to need, but don’t want.
It hurts to see an empty car seat, and having no baby to fill that space.
It was hard taking off the sheets where Lincoln breathed his last breath.
Finding “spit-up” on our shirts that we put away and thought were clean.
It hurts moving on knowing the memories of Lincoln will begin to fade.
I will miss how crazy busy five kids made me while shopping.
Only having one baby to feed in the middle of the night (and THAT baby is SUPER SPECIAL)
It’s hard seeing two sets of clothes in the dresser, laundry and diaper bag.
It’s hard having to pack the diaper bag for only one baby.
It hurt to put together a video and a service, only to be pleased with our selections and choices.
It was hard to explain to April and Chloe why they will not see Lincoln anymore.
It’s hard thinking of how Judah will grow up while Lincoln’s pictures remain the same.
We regret that we don’t have a single family picture of all seven of us.
It hurt so much to pick out Lincoln’s clothes for the funeral and a casket that is way to small.
It is painful to see the loneliness of little Judah because of losing his best friend.
The boys won’t be jostled around bonking heads while we settle down with two babies at once.
It’s hard putting Judah to bed and worrying, but knowing that he is also in God’s hands.
It’s hard to think of getting family pictures without Lincoln and not having any more pictures of our Twinkies together.
Pain was to hand him over to the coroner.
Pain was to pick out the flowers for his funeral.
Pain is to read our baby’s own obituary in the paper.
Pain is to open a letter and reading, “Death Certificate.”
Pain is an autopsy report.
Pain is to see a date chiseled onto his tombstone.
Pain is to follow his little casket through the church.
Pain is to follow a Hearse for his final ride.
Pain is to sense such finality while his Grandpa's lowered his little casket into the ground and to say goodbye.
Pain is watching his Papa fill his grave with dirt.
Pain is to think that we weren't there to rescue you, Linc, when you maybe felt so alone, maybe afraid.
But we are comforted to know that his best friend, Judah WAS there, and that JESUS was there too!
Isa 35:10
“And the ransomed of the LORD will return and come with joyful shouting to Zion, with everlasting joy upon their heads. They will find gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.”

35 comments:

  1. No words, just tears and prayers. You are so strong (even when it doesn't feel like it) and a tremendous testimony for our Savior! We love you and will continue to pray for you. Let us know any specific requests or needs. Hugs/love/prayers.

    Jason and Krista, Peabody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ang.....my heart aches with your heart. I love you.....I pray God's loving arms will be felt wrapping around you. I pray that you will be still and Know that HE is God. I pray that you remember the HOPE we have through Jesus. I pray for the day.....when we will be reunited with our babies......no more sadness, no more tears.....

    Love,

    Barb F

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you guys and will continue to pray for strength and comfort for you and Jared and the kids. I wish we lived closer to you guys.

    James and Susan Wallace and kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my sister. I dont know why you have to go through this. I hate it, but I know God has a plan. We have to be still and know that He is God. I remember seeing you after Little Linc died and I thought you looked beautiful. All week I would see the poise with which you handled everything while I knew your heart was shattered. Breathtaking. I think you've been doing just that. God is giving you strength that only He can give. I loved my sweet nephew, so much, and like I said before, if you cant sleep some night and your aching for your dimpled boy Im only a phone call away. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog, you couldn't have said it any better. I'm so glad you write this. There is a pain in my heart for you guys that I'm sure doesn't even compare to the pain in yours. Life you guys and I'll keep praying.

    Love, becky goodro

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ange and Jared,
    We have the privilege of being children of a faithful, loving heavenly Father and today one of your children is being held in His loving arms. I love you and am praying that that same God that is holding sweet Lincoln will surround you with grace and strength to face each new day. Your testimony through this whole ordeal has been a huge blessing to so many people. Lincoln's short life and unexpected death has definitely brought much glory to our heavenly Father. Thank you for your sweet, trusting spirits! Love always,
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ange...all I have to say is, while reading this, I felt your pain even more than I have all week - the details...picturing it all so cleary...why, Lord? Although I know "why" Ultimately, for God's glory...it's hard to grasp, but I know God has His powerful and loving hand in it all...

    And, as Ju has put it so perfectly, that God has given you strength only HE could give...knowing how painful such loss is and yet, God has carried you so beautifully this past week...Oh, I ache, ache, ache for you dear, Sister. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I look at Jared's words..."OH, MY SON! MY PRECIOUS SON!" I can't help but think of the grief of our Heavenly Father while He willingly gave His Son to die...for us. How He had to look away from His precious Son...for the sin the was laid on Him. But, God...our All Knowing God...knew that He would be reunited with His son someday. The same is true for you...we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw your blog post on Sarah's FB page and wanted to let you know that I have been praying for your family. I am so sorry for your loss. I know you take comfort in knowing that Lincoln is with his Heavenly Father, but that doesn't make you miss him any less. This mommy's heart is breaking for you. Thank you for sharing this amazing tribute to your son. My family will continue to pray for yours that God may give you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Ang, what a sweet tribute to baby Lincoln. My heart has been heavy this week as I've thought and prayed for you and your family, this post made my heart ache even more for you. I wish I could help take away some of the pain, somehow. I pray that God will continually give you and Jared the strength you need. I love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All love to you and your family, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart hurts for you all... praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no words. I haven't had my baby yet, but the thought just rips my heart out... Oh, Ang, God will continue you to be faithful to you. But you already know this. Great is His Faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read your blog through a link of your sister Julie and I want you to know that I admire your ongoing faith to carry you through this time.
    I also came across a blog of a woman who just lost her infant son on July 8th. Here's a link to her blog.

    http://causeitstheworldiknow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want you to know that I have been so moved by your words here that I featured you on my own blog. I hope that's ok with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am without words, but full of compassion.
    I love you and would hug you if I had the chance. You are a precious Mother and Daddy.
    I know only this: God is with you, and your son is with the LORD, JESUS CHRIST.



    II Corinthians 1:2-4

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ang, my heart has ached for you all over this past week. I so wish that I could just give you a big hug & be able to give you a little comfort. Though, I am so glad to know that you all have been surrounded by such love from family, friends, brothers & sisters in Christ. What a blessing! I just wanted you to know that we are praying for you & your beautiful family. We love & miss all of you! May you continue to find strength in the Lord our God & rejoice in knowing you will see your precious boy again one day! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know if you remember me from FBBC but wanted to let you know that I have been praying for you and will continue to pray for your family as you struggle through this tragedy.

    "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Lam. 3:22-23

    ReplyDelete
  19. "When darkness vales his lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace. In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the vale. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand...."

    I had this verse of this song mulling around in my head last night before I first read your post. I've had to read it intermittently, because I just couldn't get through it in one sitting--your honesty in your writing makes your pain so real to your reader. Our hearts absolutely break for you, Ang & Jared, April, Chloe, Brody and sweet little Judah. Several times this week I have woken up, praying that it was all just a bad dream for you all, and no doubt you have prayed that as well.
    Nothing any of us can say can take this pain away from the gigantic hole in your hearts, but we know that it is a God-sized hole--through time He will heal this hole in your hearts. We are praying for you constantly, Crying for your daily. and are thankful for the testimony you have had to all that you've come into contact with.

    Keep writing. It is beautiful, no doubt your emotions are raw, but write down every memory you can of sweet baby Lincoln....you will no doubt want to have them all later. I have already found myself wishing I had written down more of my boys, the memories, the faces, the...everything.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am bawling for you & praying for you - Angela, you and your family have been on my heart and mind all week long, and my heart is broken for your loss. You put your pain and your love for your son into words so beautifully. I'm so thankful for your testimony in your faithfulness to Christ during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Angie, thank you for writing this...it helps me to know how to pray for you, for your family. I'm praying now, and will as often as I think of your family. In the hours, days, and years to come, may God's grace continue to guide you. Praying for you friend...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our hearts are overwhelmed with grief for you and our eyes are filled with tears, but you have all been held before our Father's throne night and day. Thank you for being so full of grace in such a day of heaviness. We know nothing but the sweet, sweet love of Jesus can bear you through in the grief. We pray for that sweetness to overflow all in the family.
    Matt and Bonnie Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautifully written!
    I pray and shed tears for your family daily. As I watch my 2 boys play, you and Judah come so quickly to my mind. I can only imagine how you grieve the "what could have been" of their relationship & how empty your arms must feel right now!
    You and your family have been an amazing testimony! Thank you.
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tears roll down my cheeks as memories of seeing my twins daughters alive on ultrasound, looking at the tiny piece of land they would be buried in while they lay lifeless inside me, holding them at the hospital till dawn, and following their casket out of the church. Now, almost nine years later, I am still held close to God's heart that I never needed before. I rely on Him for strength that I never needed before. And I have memories of how our church family, relatives, and friends wrapped God's love around us in a way we had never experienced before. Even though it is the hardest thing we have ever done, my husband and I would rather them exist in Heaven than not at all, we trust that God's plan is perfect even though we don't understand it, and we rest in His arms as He carries us through this life and someday to where we will be together where they are very much alive and well. We also have a great appreciation for life and that we are not the ones in control of it. God wants to fill your emptiness from your son, with Himself. Only try to find your comfort in Him. He is the only true comfort there is. The "what ifs" and "if onlys" are a downward spiral, keep your trust in the ONE who gives and takes away. I'll be praying for you and your precious family to find comfort for your pain. Love & Prayers, Annette Fideler

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry to hear of your loss! I don't know you but grieve for you as if i did! your story is wonderful and heartbreaking! Thank you for a testimony of love, trust, and hope! God is our past present and future, praise Him for the gift of children, be it long or short! We will keep you in constant prayer!
    Leah (friend of the Harts)

    ReplyDelete
  26. While reading with tear filled eyes about that day when little precious Lincoln was ushered into the presence of the Lord, I can not tell you in words how much more my heart is broken for you, Jared & your sweet children. Through this mighty storm God's faithfulness & grace has been so evident in your lives. He will remain faithful & His grace & love will sustain you in the coming days. Psalm 27:14 says "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord." Love you.

    Amy Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never before felt so heartbroken and yet inspired at the same time... I am pouring out tears and prayers for you, and I am also so overwhelmed by your faith, love, and trust in Christ. Thank you for sharing this! I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Though I am a stranger to you and your family, I was prompted to read your blog by my precious friend Emily Hart. I am so sorry for your family's loss but I am so encouraged by the testimony your loss has created. Prayers for your family.

    Rachael Farris

    ReplyDelete
  29. Debbie's scream, Jared's call, the tears, the medical examiner, wow! Emotionally, it's like a freefall of slipping off the bridge at the Royal Gorge. I slept early last night - just so tired. When I got up and read this it made me tired all over again.

    People plunged into sustained trauma are often years to respond and to become normal. Somehow after Lincoln's death and to know a paradise of love in the family, he knew it was great and the pain of his life all fell behind him as he began to giggle and smile. I'm grateful that it wasn't like dying on a torture rack. He had reached the summits of earth and now he's exploring the summits of heaven.

    Movies often cover decades of a person's life to draw all the adventures together. Those mere 98 days have all the drama of a lifetime.

    Love you!
    Dad Brocka

    ReplyDelete
  30. I meant after Lincoln's birth.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  31. Again...I'm at a loss for words. I've thought about you all week, and we have also kept you in our prayers. I cried uncontrollable tears as I read your account of that morning and the week that followed. We love you guys. You are such a special family. The Lord wouldn't trust just anyone with such a trial. He only trusts those strong enough to handle it, and still make it back to Him.

    Lots of love and prayers...Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh dear sweet Angela and Jared, this is really the one trial I didn't want you to ever have to endure. When I think of that chaotic, sorrow filled morning, I just want to turn back the time and have that Sat. turn out differently. But it did happen:-)and when I think about walking into your room to get our sweet little twinkies and saw Judah bright eyed looking at me and then the horror of seeing Lincoln, as I turned him over, I really thought he would be fine, then I saw his lifeless body, and the same scream that Terry heard years ago penetrated his ears and he knew what that meant, the same look that I saw nearly 31 years ago with my own sweet baby girl. This is what I have prayed that God would protect you and all of our Grandchildren against but that was not His will. Those "If ONLYS" flood our thoughts, if only I had gotten up an hour early, why did I sleep in? But those words from Jim's Sermon at the funeral keep melting those what ifs away "Be Still and Know that I am God". Now I know that no matter what any of us did, God is Sovereign and will use this for His Glory. I have witnessed you and Jared's enormous Faith and your attidude has comforted me. I can look back and see the difference in how I dealt with this same nightmare 31 years ago and the anger that consumed my life and that morning I wanted to be so Angry, but knowing the Lord brings a peace now that I did not have then. I can Praise God for how He used our baby girls death to lead us to a real relationship with our Savior and look forward to how He will use this painful event in the future. Oh but I grieve at what you will experience and how very much we will miss our little Lincoln and the fun of having Twins. I was so very thankful to enjoy the fun of healthy twins for two days, but it was not enough time to cuddle those two babies together and enjoy the sweet way they slept together and looked at each other. It is odd that it seemed easier to take five on our outings than four. I am thankful to have our sweet Judah to cuddle, our arms still seem empty without the two of them to hold together. Yes life will change and we must learn to live it without our Linc and sweet twins. I am very thankful that I get a glimpse of Linc's sweet dippled cheeks and brite eyes and even that pouty frown when I look at Judah on occasion. I wake up each morning with overwhelming sorrow and that vision of Linc's lifeless little body is implanted in my brain and again those words come in like a flame of relief "Be Still and Know I am God". Yes, that is where the hope lies, that is where and who we trust with our lives. I have five beautiful grandchildren, one of them is being cared for by Jesus and it is so comforting to know the other four have godly, loving parents who use Biblical principles to raise them up in a Christ Centered home. What a legacy they will leave. So as we said goodbye to dear sweet Linc, we know that one day we will be with him because we know the Lord and have a relationship with the one who saves. Our pain is deep and not just from the loss of our grandson but to watch our Jared and Angela go through this nightmare is double the pain and anquish, and to see April, Chloe, Brody and Judah without their brother, who they adored is also very painful. Again all of this is bareble only because we have the blessed hope of Jesus, that is what I rely on and know that Jared and Angela rely on. So until we meet again dear Lincoln, enjoy playing with your Aunt April and Uncle Micah, for they too have left a hole in the hearts of those who love them. See you soon my dear sweet Linc and know that we are caring deeply for your twin brother. Love Nana C. <3 hearts, hugs, and kisses to you who we didn't get enough of...We love you soooo much and the pain we do have now is because of the emense joy you brought to us all during your short life;-(

    ReplyDelete
  33. Forgive all the misspelled words in my comments. So here is what we should have: dimpled not dippled, bearable not bareable,and I am sure many more....
    I love you and your family so much:
    Love Mama Cline (Nana C.)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Angela and Jared, I haven't told many people this but John and lost a baby when I was 8 weeks pregnant. People told me "at least you weren't that far along", but it doesn't matter what stage of life your baby is in it hurts. I am so sorry you have to feel that pain too. No one should have too. You are such an inspiration to me. Your strength and faithfulness and love for each other and the Lord is what will get you through. As a parent you know that your kids are on loan to you from God and He can take them home when He is ready,but you always assume you have tomorrow. Lincoln was right were God wanted him and I couldn't imagine him with a better family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Michelle Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  35. Praying for you Angie as you face tomorrow with new sadness on your heart as well as the memory of a year ago. Praying for your entire family at this time. Please know that God will strengthen you all as you go through this. Praying for Julie especially now...thanks for sharing so much. Denise & Mark Swedeen, Cambridge, MN

    ReplyDelete