So after we got back from the ER July 2, we came home to a house full of loving friends and family... There was an awkward silence as we walked in, but so much love and support from these wonderful people. It's incredible what the week following the death of a loved one looks like... That afternoon we got a house visit from the funeral home and THAT afternoon we were picking out a casket for our baby and talking about funeral arrangements. There is just no time to sit around and take in all that just happened. As the week progressed we worked hard and long on Lincoln's video, we went to the flower shop to pick out flowers and colors for his funeral, we picked out clothes for him to wear... his last outfit:o( I was out shopping months after losing Linc and saw that the shorts that we had picked out were now a clearance item. Those little shorts caught my eye hanging on that rack, so many emotions attached to this little pair of shorts...We had several house calls from the funeral home (I have never heard of that before) and they were so good about working with us. We were informed that the casket we picked out was out of stock:o( Out of stock! What do you do? We had picked out a nice wood grain looking casket, that if we were to choose one we "liked" THAT was it. Well, we had to settle for a cheap looking white one with a blue design throughout it - poor selection to choose from... I know it doesn't matter what a casket looks like, but it really is disappointing to not be able to get the one you prefer.
The head funeral director was scheduled to go on vacation so his second hand man was to take over for him. This was a young guy who had obviously never lost someone close to him in his life and lacked a lot of compassion. Immature, task oriented, and frank. We'll call him E since I'll be talking about him throughout this post and yes I apologize now, it will be in a negative sense:/
![]() |
| 3 month pictures |
By the end of the night we were exhausted! E wanted us to meet with him before heading out. He was VERY adamant about us, "Not being late!" for Linc's funeral the next day. And seriously, I know we're late to just about everything we do, but late for our baby's funeral? I don't think he needed to worry about that!
While we drove home from Linc's viewing we happened upon a mommy deer and her 3 little babies crossing the road. It was so sweet! One of the babies just hung back and stared while my hubby tried to get a picture and as soon as he took it the deer ran away. It was like it was posing for us:o)
The next morning I remember getting dressed and ready to go (still feeling super icky), blow drying my hair and sweating like a pig since we didn't have working air conditioning in our house yet. It was HOT and humid:/
E wanted us to have our last moments with Linc (just my hubby and I) in the company of JUST us, then close up the casket, and start the funeral - big deal to him, because he didn't want everyone else saying last minute goodbyes and holding things up. I thought that was really stupid not to have all the people who cared about you there for one of the hardest moments of your entire life. E also didn't like the idea of us holding Lincoln one last time because of the fact that he was embalmed??? Worries of jostling him to much... not sure what the big deal was since we would soon be closing the lid and no one would ever see him again anyway. I have a very dear friend named Barb who too lost her sweet baby Sarah. She talked to E and told him that we needed to be able to hold Linc if we wanted to. We had mixed emotions about it, but we did know that we would never regret having held him one last time and we could very possible regret NOT holding him one last time. So we decided that was something we wanted to do (and if you think that is strange, you probably haven't ever lost a baby...). So we went to the church nursery and sat in a rocking chair with our precious baby boy, studying every feature of his beautiful face and sweet baby body. We had roughly 15 minutes with him before we were to meet with everyone else to close the lid. Last minute I remembered the picture of our family that we wanted to put in with Linc, but didn't know where it had gone. E who was SO worried about holding up the service very anxiously said, "HURRY! Well don't hurry, but HURRY!" Just a thought, but don't you think that people would be willing to wait an extra 5-10 minutes for a funeral to start? If someone was that impatient and wanted to leave than no skin off my shoulders. We ran around looking for this picture (which really was important to us) totally stressed because E wanted us to hurry. Thankfully we found it pretty quickly, and made our way to the youth room where our supportive families were waiting for that last glimpse of our baby boy before we shut the lid and said goodbye. Had I known what to expect next I would have stood up and taken care of things myself. There was a ruffly blanket thing with elastic around it that was folded over the edge of the casket, E took that off the edge and covered Lincoln's face up with it (not carefully, just rushing to get things moving). Again I know things like this don't matter to Linc, or in the grand scheme of things, but it matters to me... I would have tucked it around the edges and covered him nicely with the blanket we chose, with his face uncovered...
The funeral service was perfect! We had fantastic musicians, vocalists, and great messages from 2 great Pastors. I wouldn't change a single thing about the service - thank you to everyone who had a part in that! The challenge from Pastor Jim (the main speaker) was to "Be still and know that I am God."
Since the graveyard we had chosen for Lincoln is so far away (I know I've said it before, but we often wish we hadn't buried him so far away, but we do like that he is next to his uncle - it seemed perfect at the time) the burial service was planned for the next day, Saturday at 1:00. We had a couple of delays, like my hubby missing our exit:/ Someone we were caravanning with deciding to get gas at the worst possible time... I was getting a little stressed about arriving late, you know since E made such a big deal about it. Well, when we arrived no one was there! No hearse, no chairs, no tents, nothing. Just a hole in the ground with a mound of dirt next to it. We thought it strange and still do actually. People started to arrive and I'd say just about everyone who was coming was there. Finally E arrived (super late) in a van, where Linc was stored in the back. I wonder why we even paid him to bring Lincoln - we could have just as easily put Linc in the back of our van and at least he would have been transported with love. E grabbed the flowers out and awkwardly placed them on the mound of dirt, then started setting up a table for cards, meanwhile my hubby and I mingled and thanked people for coming. With no warning to us E had the grandpas transport Linc to his grave, while we talked to people and had no clue what was going on. Our friends realized what was going on and cued us in thankfully. We watched as they carefully lowered him into the ground, I love how tenderly they put him down and how special it was that the grandpas were the ones who did it... E told us we could shovel some dirt in or go ahead and shovel all the dirt in, it was up to us. It would have been nice to know of this option ahead of time so we could discuss it, but we were put on the spot and it only seemed right that WE bury him, every shovel of dirt burying him with love. It was hot and awkward, filling in a grave isn't a 5 minute task. I gave my shovel over to my dad after a bit and I'm glad I did because he was really good about packing the dirt in just right. E didn't like the awkward time consuming task while our friends stood by and watched. He fidgeted while hinting for my hubby to stop (after offering? He was so frustrating). My dad was really wonderful and helped the awkwardness by suggesting we sing Amazing Grace at the end or saying encouraging things amongst the silence. He knew exactly what to say, how to say it, and when - why am I surprised? He is after-all greatly gifted in that area! Watching my dad and especially J work hard to fill Linc's grave filled my heart with overflowing love.![]() |
| All smiles, happy boy:o) |
When we got home after such a long day we really started to see how sun burnt Judles got from being at the graveyard with no shade of any sort on such a hot day. His poor face was bright pink and he was starting to get a horrible cough, which was majorly stressing J, myself, and my mother-in-law, out. I took him to the doctor that following Monday and my doctor is so sweet that he offered to admit Judles into the hospital if it would make us feel better, but he assured us it wasn't necessary. He just wanted us to have the option if it gave us a peace of mind. I knew if he didn't need to be there than logically it wasn't a good idea to send him. Besides, I didn't want him to have to get poked and prodded any more than necessary, BUT the thought of just sending him away sick and returned to us in full health was very tempting. We opted to take him home and feel things out, which was obviously the right choice and he did get well on his own!
After a week of planning and attending your baby's funeral you can't help but feel some relief when it's over. All the anticipation that makes you sick to your stomach day after day, the sleep deprivation and puffy eyes from tears that just won't go away; but at the same time it's so final, it's suddenly time to do things that press you to move on... Seemingly simple things like taking a car seat out of your car are so hard to do and make your heart unbearably heavy.
![]() |
| Sweet sums him up well! |
![]() |
| He just makes me smile:o) |
One night after picking my hubby up from work we were driving home, having another one of "those" moments. About to be in the depths of despair when suddenly a huge antelope (I think it was) awkwardly ran between some concrete barriers and across the freeway, right in front of us. It was a startle, but humorous in a strange way? Definitely changed the course of our emotions, and I welcome that change of course when it's one of those stubborn emotions that you know wants to stick around for awhile.
![]() |
| Flashing one of his dimples |
Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.





<3 Love you.
ReplyDeleteI sat here and cried as I read this :( I've thought of your family so often since you lost Linc... and it's so easy for me to struggle with fear about something happening to Elikia. You have been SUCH a testimony to me of God's grace and sovereignty through such an incredibly difficult time. Thanks for being real! Praying for you!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to write that the story about J taking you to get a concrete mixer makes me nearly cry everytime I read it <3 So sweet.
ReplyDeleteAs I sit here and glance to my left, I see the sweet pictures from Target of Linc and Judles...it's something we put before us as regular reminders of the blessing of that sweet boy and what God has done in our lives through him! Thank you for sharing so candidly...in fact, Jim and I were talking the other day about "E" and the whole thing about arriving at the gravesite w/ nothing prepared...and how you all handled it so well. It certainly wasn't an easy thing...but, it's amazing what the peace of God and intention to respond rightly as a believer can do in a moment like that! I agree that your dad just did a wonderful job helping those awkward moments seem less awkward and allow that time to be a time of worship instead...such a gift. We love you guys and we love Linc! Someday, in glory, we'll see that sweet face again, totally revealed and full of joy, as that blanket is just temporary (I'm sorry about that, btw...I never heard that and I can only imagine how frustrating that moment could have been!)...You are so right about God's sovereignty...and even though I've never lost a baby, I can say that your words about that are a HUGE encouragement to me right now! Love you sooo much!
ReplyDeleteI love the ice cream story, too. J's understanding heart and his love for you is so special. Had to add this on to my comment!!
DeleteLove, Marmee
I have to second Julie's comment, that ice cream story has my tears flowing. It's those simple things and a loving spouse that we need in our lowest days. I'm so glad that good things can come out of life's biggest heartaches. Love you!
ReplyDeleteSorrow of Sorrows, the photo of you and J hugging at the graveside breaks my heart, for it depicts the Anguish of your loss:-( I am so so sorry that I could not stop this from happening to you and wish I could take the pain from you and my son. It becomes overwhelming when I see our sweet Linc smiling at us from the pictures on our wall and I just want to turn back the clock and be there for you both in a way that I just didn't know how. I re-live that dreaded morning over and over with a differnt outcome, but I wake each morning to the reality of knowing that it did happen. I am so thankful you have such a godly supportive family and amazing friends and most importantly, you have the Lord who has given you both such an amazing testimony. In one of the Beth Moore videos she talked about God taking our Anguish and turning it into joy. Waiting for that and praying for you always. There are no words that can express my heart as I read you blogg and emptied all the tears that I had. You and J are strong in the Lord and I want you to know that I love you and just want to hug you both right now (((())))) Love mama Cline
ReplyDelete