Monday, April 2, 2012

Prickly Heat

So I have this problem... It's called over bundling. This isn't a new problem of mine, in fact, I believe it started with the birth of our first baby girl. If anyone claims to be an expert at keeping your child the perfect temperature at night before they are old enough to use blankets and verbalize whether or not they are hot or cold, please share! I've gotten better with each child, but poor Brains suffered through a lot with my cold paranoia:/ She was a Fall baby and we lived in a tiny apartment that had great heat throughout it. At night, I not only bundled her, but I would put a space heater (with no climate control on it) IN her room and just crack her door ever so slightly. I had no idea at the time how dangerous that could be, but trust me when I say - we don't do the space heater thing anymore! I always wondered why she was such a grumpy car baby, but after being made fun of relentlessly by my sister and husband I now realize why. I would put a jacket/coat on her, cover her lap with a blanket (maybe 2? Do you remember sis?) and then zip up her car seat cover. You may be wondering if I had any common sense at all and I have to admit I'm kind of wondering the same thing:/ She would cry all the way to church (or wherever we were going) and then when we got to our destination she would be covered in sweat and even more than once with a little rash on her back and neck, which my aunt sweetly pointed out, "Could be prickly heat." Our poor experiment child... Well tonight Judles has a fever, and fevers are the hardest for me to figure out what to put on for the night. You think a onesie, but then wonder, "When their fever breaks and they get all sweaty are they going to be cold then?" And of course you don't want to bundle them up and make their fever raise even more! So hard to know??? I suppose checking on him often is the best bet, but seriously, why should such things be so complicated? By the way, I opted for the onesie tonight, my hubby would be proud:o)


One example I could quickly find of my "Problem" though I'm not positive, but this might have been when our car heater was having problems and it was extremely cold. Wish I knew for sure...

Today both my hubby and I went to get our eyes checked. J has been getting headaches and gets really tired when he reads or watches t.v. so that was the reason for his visit. His eyes are still good, but the lady said he could try out some reading glasses and see if that helped at all - not essential, but an option. I had the kids (bathroom trip) while he was checking out frames and when I came back he had 8 pairs for me to choose between. He tried them on for me and separated the "Yes" frames from the "No" frames and then narrowed it down to one pair. Funny thing is I picked the same pair that he had chosen as his favorite! Decision made easy:o) And how cool that our taste is that similar! I have had the same pair of glasses for the past 9 years and really don't want different ones. As of yet, places have been unwilling to put new lenses in my old frames, but today they said they could (because they were still in good shape) as long as I understood that if something happened to my frames, they wouldn't be held responsible. My prescription in my glasses is way off from my real prescription and I usually wear my glasses so I am really excited to have my old frames with new lenses!!! Only problem is my glasses have to be sent in and it is going to take several weeks to get them back. I love contacts, but have gotten extremely lazy about wearing them since child #2 was born:/ Main thing that makes me claustrophobic though is the fact that as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning, it's contacts or blindness AND I better make absolutely sure that when I plan to go to bed that I GO to bed or else I get to put my contacts back in (lame) or be blind till I finally DO go to bed. I will miss the availability of my glasses waiting for me on my nightstand every morning and every night:o( Worth the hassle and at least it isn't a long term thing, but frames... you will be missed *sniff*.

4 comments:

  1. That is too funny about bundling them up! We ran into that with Andrew bringing him home from the hospital! We had him really bundled up. And didn't know how to adjust the carseat! So we're trying to cram him in and get it clicked, and he was crying and crying, and the nurse was just looking at us, like "what are you doing???" We finally took everything but his onesie off, then clicked it all, then put the blanket around him, but it took us a few weeks to figure out how to adjust it! Ohh the things we first time parents do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! So remember the overbundling :o) Funny girl ;o) At least now that you've learned a little moderation you are good about putting hats and gloves on your kids... Unlike me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog so much! I was a little behind, and just barely read a few of your posts. I loved your baby #6 post...It made me tear up, thinking about your Target trip. But I am the same way...Gotta hide those emotions in public and let it all out behind closed doors. You are so amazing, and I am blessed to call you a friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute. I think I am an over-bundler too. At least at night. I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to car seats so no jackets in the seats. I know some manufacturers say you shouldn't put jackets on in the car seats because it's not as safe so I usually have lots of blankets on hand in the car. Since we do not have a garage and it gets pretty cold out there!!

    ReplyDelete